Director of Engineering for xLabs
The Xplorer group within the OfficeoftheCTO is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead and mentor highly skilled engineers working on various innovation programs.
Xplorer group is responsible for programs that brings innovation within VMware and inspires, connects and enables our VMware community to foster a global innovation culture. We believe our people are responsible for our success, so we fuel their curiosity and provide the platform to implement their ideas through a diverse set of creative programs.
As a xLabsDirectorofEngineering within Xplorer group, you will be leading and mentoring top talent from the Propel Program to execute and implement new ideas and collaborate with individuals and leaders within Office of CTO, other technologists within R&D and across VMware.
Propel is a newgraduateinnovatorprogram designed to build future leaders with vision across our Research&Development organization. Participants are given access to extraordinary mentors and work in innovative, multi-functional teams to develop their skills and broaden their experience.
This program is designed to advance talent through the most critical parts of the business where interests are aligned to opportunity.
As the Engineering Director, you will be a seasoned and driven individual with a consistent track record of leading and mentoring motivated, skilled employees and leading complex product development.
You will establish excellence in execution by defining realistic targets and achievements.
You will focus the engineering teams, establish a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into different stages of development in the desired timeframes. You will also collaborate with other development teams across VMware and Dell Technologies.
- Ensure high quality and high customer satisfaction while maintaining a high pace of innovation
- Implement new or improved processes that are required for VMware to design and continue to build a more feature-rich, scalable and a high performance set of VMware solutions.
- Develop, lead and encourage the team. Be a magnet for technical talent and accelerate the hiring of strong architects and engineers, as needed. Solidify succession plans and enhance management capabilities to meet strategic and operating objectives.
- Manage engineers and teams to execute challenging innovative and disruptive projects.
- Be a respected leader in the company and industry. Establish a strong collaborative culture with peers and other functions within VMware.
- Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity. Be an effective spokesperson and champion for VMware and OCTO.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a software development organization.
- Engage with VMware executives and direct reports to establish an environment that is motivating and entrepreneurial in nature.
- Help to define VMware strategic skills, personas and training needed for Propel program and onboard engineers successfully.
- Ensure Propel engineers have broad exposure to all aspects of product development and understand steps needed to launch products.
- Work with leaders and Engineering Business Units to determine the best placement for each engineer once they’ve completed their project(s) and complete successful hand-off between engineers as needed.
- Do you have minimum of 8 - 10+ years engineering leadership experience with a successful background of development and delivery of complex, enterprise class software?
- Are you a proven leader that is known to deliver in a high growth and highly dynamic environment?
- Have you got experience in leading a portfolio of products at different stages of maturity and market impact?
- Successful experience of setting the vision, building, leading and motivating large, global engineering teams
- Has inherent knowledge of development processes and methodologies to lead multiple software development projects effectively
- Ability to drive engineering work in a hands-on fashion when needed
- Domain expertise in Big data, Blockchain, AI, ML, system level software or cloud services is helpful.
- Have you accomplished implementing enhanced product development processes that shorten release cycles and improve “time to market” for new products?
- An effective phenomenal teammate who works effectively in a team-based organization, collaborates multi-functionally, and builds support and alignment around goals and objectives.
- Retain, develop, motivate, and mentor highly effective teams
Job ID R173066